Thursday, April 02, 2009

MeTube a Bit Less....

3 years ago, YouTube disabled my first account (I was one of the first YouTube users!). Nowadays, they simply disable your videos.

Checking into the YouTube account I use to upload videos I don't wish to tag and identify (so as to minimize internet exposure), I noticed a number of videos have either had their audios disabled, or the video itself killed due to copyright claims. In some cases, copyright owners have IDed the video, but allowed it to stand (thank you!).

Certainly I feel that artists and producers should be rewarded financially for their work; but I think it's a mistake on their part to crack down on users like this, as I see it as personal usage for many uploaders and and free advertising for those others concerned. I could be wrong, but business-wise, I don't see the wisdom- especially if I've already paid for most of the songs. I'm basically using music for my own personal use and sharing mostly with friends and family, via the internet. This is part of what made YouTube so great in the beginning. I'm all for capitalism, but I feel like the crackdown impoverishes everyone. The only way you're ever going to stop what the business industry might consider as "stealing", is to take away technology- from the internet, to CD and DVD burning, to recordable audio cassette tapes, to VHS tapes. I think WMG (the one primarily responsible for the crackdown) is doing more harm than good.

Anyway, I've migrated the disabled videos over to BlipTV. Higher resolution than YouTube. My one concern is that blip.tv gets so big they become targeted for copyright violations; or become so small, they close down, leaving me with the painful chore of finding another video hosting site.

The following videos have been salvaged:
Birthday Dream Believer
Someplace Under the Rainbow
Malaika's Bad Days
As Time Goes By
Far Away
GyMah Na Mah Nastics
The Return of GyMahNaMahNastics
Gymnastics Zone
"Gymnastics Will Turn You Around"
A Rainy Day Outside Keeps the Sunbeams In
Anyone Else but You
Take it Easy
Georgia of the Junge Gym
Summer Magic
The SMGC Monster Family Movie Trailer
Wake Me When Summer Ends
Let's Do the Twist
Bubbly Gymnasts
Only Time
Forever Young
Surfin' SMGC
Start Here
Al's Slip 'N' Slide
SMGC Vacation
Overnight 2006
What's Up?
Missing Yuri
Gymmmbopnastics
Spider-Gymnast
Gymnast 007


Really, you take a look at something like the birthday video at the top of the list, and how is it anything but a home video for personal use? How is it harming the owner of the rights to the music by sharing?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home