Saturday, May 09, 2009

Just Malaika's Imagination


This video is from Malaika's birthday party last September 2nd. It was a lot of fun to work, given the number of kids I knew (former SMGC students) who attended but don't get to see anymore.

Lilly, I think, was shocked to see Teri and I, and disoriented by our presence at LASG (I can't remember, but she said some "funny" and "curious" things about the gym switch, and why we left). I seem to recall her expressing some irk and ire, as though holding me accountable to SMGC's closing.




When we were at SMGC, at the end of her class, Malaika used to always ask me to make her a paper airplane. It was kind of a ritual, like when I used to come in and share my breakfast with Anna.

Madison's comment about the haunted maze in the video's closing credits can be better referenced and contextualized by
clicking here. I should revisit that updated video, and prefix it with this clip of Madison, talking about it.

It took me 8 months to get around to doing this video. It just kind of happened accidentally while sitting in front of my computer, Friday morning, perusing my music library files as well as going through video files, looking for pictures to send to those who appear in them. Less than 24 hours later and....whalah! Video made, wrapped, printed!

I miss these kids and am grateful for being able to preserve some of the memories!

Malaika's currently been fencing, and loving it!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

great video, michael! i miss all these kids too. i also love the song choice! :)

Saturday, May 09, 2009 9:33:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I love The Cranberries!

Saturday, May 09, 2009 10:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Lori said...

oh I love the Cranberries too!
But seriously I miss your posts...
hope to see more soon!

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 12:05:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Yah...

I wanted to stay on a birthday theme and post a video of Sircey's birthday party from April along with some raw footage of birthday parties done at Broadway.

Bad news, though: About a week or so ago, a bunch of my files (from "H" to "Z" on my external hard drive) went invisible. It's happened before and I've usually just rebooted my comp or unplugged and replugged the hard drive. So I wasn't concerned until last weekend when lasg asked me to send them some photos.

Well....

It appears more permanent this time, as I can't seem to access the folders at all. I think they are still there, but right now, everything from smgc and lasg from 2008-2009 is "gone".

Like a dummy, I didn't think to make copies or transfer to a new hard drive, since I've been having some problems.

I got an estimate of $350 if I take it to a professional to solve for me.

I'd take it to Al (smgc owner), but I heard he's vacationing in Hawaii for a month.

Suggestions?

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 12:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Lori said...

me tell you how to fix a computer... haha umm wrong person... good luck!

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Thanks, Lori! I'm hoping to recover the files.

I might have some new stuff to put up soon.

And if nothing else, I can always go back to pre 2008 smgc archival stuff to finally turn into something. There's quite a bit just gathering dust and cobwebs.

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 10:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home