Thursday, December 04, 2008

Nika's Turn to Defy Gravity

I've known Nika since she was about five or six. Formerly a competitor at Gymnastics Olympica, this past year saw some dramatic changes in her life as she found a new school to attend, as well as leaving the gym that had cultivated much of her present gymnastics skills.

Currently, she is a migrant gymnast without a gym to call her own. Hopefully, that will change in the future. Right now, though, she loves her school and is in a sabbatical transition with regard to her competitive life as a gymnast. She trains at Valley College, and here and there, where her mom can take her for open workouts.

Even though I've already used this song in a previous video, and I don't like to repeat what's been done when there are so many songs out there begging to be used in my videos, knowing how much Donna and Nika (and much of the rest of the world, it would seem) loved seeing this musical, to the point of tears, I just thought they deserve this song, as well. Besides, I'm using the musical version here; I think I used a rock version in Crislin's video. Gymnasts know how to defy gravity, so it's only appropriate that this song gets worn from use.




Some of the footage from the video is taken of her shoot with Country Crock advertising, which happened at LASG.


Merry Christmas, Donna and Nika!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made me cry Michael....
Nika looks great, your filming and editing is beautiful.

Thursday, December 04, 2008 1:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Michael for your passion to bring Nika into your blog and your film. I watch with awe as the budding flower within this child comes alive. Her spark and her gentleness is what gives us all pause. I should know, I am her Aunt and her Godmother and a most proud and loving one!
Bettye Cart

Thursday, December 04, 2008 9:03:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Thanks for commenting, Bettye! She is indeed blossoming. I hope she is able to keep her skills and focus up in the absence of a permanent coach and gym for this year.

Don't cry, Donna....but you're welcome.


Stay tuned, here, for an update to this video; probably by tomorrow morning.

Thursday, December 04, 2008 9:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home