Saturday, December 05, 2009

Hooked on Brooke



Back at SMGC, I was teaching this new girl, Alyssa, in beg/adv. Throughout the class, I'd hear from nearby across the gym at another station, "Pssst....Alyssa"....and this cute little rugrat would wave to her sister. She did that every week, getting Alyssa's attention while in the middle of her own class. One day, I decided to shout out "Hey Brooke" and wave to Alyssa's sister, like I knew her, while she was in the middle of her own class. Just to mimic and throw her off. I hadn't officially met the kid yet and she looked over with a slightly confused look on her face. The following week, I was in the splits, stretching with Alyssa's class. Brooke's class hadn't started yet, and she wanders over to the floor and, without a single word, wraps her arms around me with the warmest hug while I was sitting there in the splits. She's had my heart wrapped around her, ever since.

Brooke had a bit of a tough adjustment to make, going from rec class at SMGC/LASG to a team developmental program at BGS. She misses the pits and the play and the more relaxed atmosphere of recreational gymnastics (and her friend Lexi, who remains at LASG).

Selfishly, I'm glad she followed me (didn't encourage her to), although I'd be happy for her wherever she is happiest. As far as I can tell though, she's happiest around me; and her mom says it's why they ended up coming to Broadway Gym. (^_^)



Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home