Thursday, July 30, 2009

In Our Lives....We Loved You More




I actually created this video well over a year ago, shortly after SMGC closed. I wasn't going to post it until I had the 4th video made of the rest of the footage I took of the farewell reunion. But I've yet to follow through with that one. Someday...

Since I hadn't posted anything else this month, and again feeling nostalgic, I thought I'd finally post this one up. Not exactly the happiest of videos, so if you're hoping to be uplifted by it....well, watch it some other time.

I started looking into the military option again shortly before leaving LASG, went through a couple of recruiters, then didn't follow up with my last one after beginning the process all over again (since it's been over 2 years since I tried to get into the National Guard, I have to start from scratch). I guess I'm not as passionate about it as I once was, when things were still spiralling south over in Iraq.

Right now I'm once again distracted by the day to day grinds and obligations (and feeling old as I workout and try working through injuries); but maybe after summer...

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Lori said...

Aaahhh that is SOOOOO Sad!
What are you up to these days! I miss your posts... but I understand how busy it is these days! :)

Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael,
I'm not sure if you'll even remember who I am - Colleen Keating. I taught at SMGC about 8 years ago. I have logged onto your site every week since I found it about a year ago. Last March, I was actually in L.A. for a wedding and went to SMGC to see everyone. I was crushed to see it had closed just a month prior. I walked over to LASG and watched Al teach a class through the window. He was too busy to go talk to and I didn't see you or anyone else I recognized. I still keep in touch with Lorene Noh. I coached gymnastics full time for 6 years when we moved back East to Massachusetts. We live in my hometown of Albany, NY now and I'm back in the TV advertising business, but my heart will always be in gymnastics. I want to thank you so much for posting all of these videos and clips. I can not tell you how much they mean to me. Please email me and let me know what's been going on with you.
Thank you again for keeping all these wonderful memories alive.
colleen.keating@wten.com

Friday, July 31, 2009 1:45:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Lori,

I'm just kind of wandering aimlessly...

...letting my youth slip by with no clear objectives.

Recently been thinking about the one I should have married, but didn't.

I've tried to focus on my origami, but I'm not business-minded enough. It remains mostly a past-time.

Was a talented martial artist (boxing, kicking, grappling, practical weaponry, eclectic esoteric arts primarily from southeast Asia...), but had no desire to ever teach. So I tapered off and all but stopped, since it made no sense to train hours and hours 7 days a week with no ambition to teach, compete, or do anything else with it that would generate income.

No longer interested in personal training.

Waning interest in teaching gymnastics. Not sure what my problem is.

Yeah...I'm dealing with issues.

Anyway, thanks for asking. (^_^)


I'm actually doing well, but that would be the optimist in me talking.

How's teaching going for you?




Colleen,

Of course I remember you well. Really, you were there for 8 years though?! Was I already teaching kids there, when you started? I'm sure you started after me.

Molly Winawer still holds a special place in my heart for being a big influence on my decision to start teaching kids.

Recently, I was actually unburying old photos which I've thought of scanning and eventually posting up. Wish digital technology was more prevalent back then.

Sorry I missed you when you were in town. You should have left your contact info for us.

I'm glad you found this blog, but how?

I see Lorene now and then at Broadway Gymnastics.

Do you remember which kid was Sara Borgese? Her family owns the business next door, and she's been working some hours for summer camp at the gym, as a volunteer. Her uncle, Haime, also works at the family business next door, and was a UCLA gymnast a generation after me (the generation that was the last to see UCLA men's gymnastics before it got cut).

Anyway, thanks for checking in here!

Friday, July 31, 2009 5:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Lori said...

Oh teaching is good... busy with camp and stuff... big changes at my gym with coaches and such... kind of a big drama but working out quite well.... wondering if I should be looking for a "real" job but who knows what that might be... hehe... so I just keep plugging away at the gym...

Friday, July 31, 2009 9:22:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Weren't you thinking about moving out this way?

I think you should start a blog.

Saturday, August 01, 2009 8:02:00 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

this made me cry.

Sunday, August 02, 2009 7:11:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

There, there...go do some jacknives and push-ups and work it off...

Aren't you like....out in the Appalachias, right now?

You're just homesick...



We all are.

Sunday, August 02, 2009 7:25:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

You did read the disclaimer, right?


if you're hoping to be uplifted by it....well, watch it some other time.

Sunday, August 02, 2009 7:27:00 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

guess what
you didn't mark it as a disclaimer, mister
:P

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 3:08:00 PM  
Anonymous robyn said...

Michael, I will make your life better when I am no longer a gimp and back to driving you crazy =)oh how I can't wait for this day!!! and also tuesday 2:30 lol

Sunday, August 09, 2009 12:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home