When Competition Breeds Success
Anna did a private yesterday, having taken the session off from gymnastics. She seemed to have her mind set on doing round-off back handspring, as she asked me, "Did Malaika really do a round-off backhandspring by herself?". Apparently, Malaika had "bragged" about it. So it looks like Nikita's affections isn't the only thing they'll compete over.
Anna asked me how Malaika did it, and I said her friend simply had guts and enough confidence in her own abilities that she tried it on her own. So without even a spot or warm-up round-off, Anna did her first RO BH by herself.
It works great from a step, rather than a run, because it 1)Forces them to try to generate more power without running and 2)They have such poor judgment on where to start their hurdle when mat placement requires them to be spatial/distance-specific.
Way to go Anna!
Labels: Anna Ingold, LASG Advanced, What your kids have been doing in the gym



2 Comments:
I love it when peer pressure results in positive results. Malaika will be surprised when she returns from vacation. I wonder what she will want to learn as a result. Anna had a really great time, despite the tears at the end.
She'll want to do two in a row. You can even see her desire for it in the video clip of her RO BH. She asked me for permission to try it, and I said "no".
Post a Comment
<< Home