Friday, July 25, 2008

A little history on Al Luber...who's a little older than 7


Today, Thea told me about how level 4 gymnast Miriam was making him laugh. She relayed one exchange of theirs, where Miriam asked Al how old he is. Al told her, "Older than you." Miriam replied back, "So....you're seven?"*

The following is from an email Julia forwarded to me a while ago. Thought it might be a good time to post it.

Al's old engineering buddy goes to my church small world, huh? I say Al sould wear that outfit to class sometime, hahaha

-----Original Message-----
From: Terri-Rae Elmer <>
To: Julia Wallace <>
Subject: Fw: Julia's Gymnastics coach
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:05:44 -0700

----- Original Message -----

From:

To:

Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 6:51 PM

Subject: Julia's Gymnastics coach

Hi Terri-Rae,

I thought your daughter might enjoy showing her gym coach the following photos, all of which I found on the FBI's Most Wanted list. (Maybe you can take them off this email and print them on some glossy paper for Al.)























As I mentioned to you, he has an electrical engineering degree from UCLA and he worked with us at Hughes Aircraft Company. I remember that he was always doing extra work teaching swimming and gym to youngsters at that time. One day someone mentioned that he was a UCLA jock in gymnastics. I asked him if there was anything he could show us about gymnastics, since I knew nothing at all about it. We were in a lab and he looked around and spied a desk. He was a little tentative, but he said, "Well, I guess I could show you something simple." He went over to the desk and leaned back on it as if he were going to sit on it. He put his hands down on either side of his hips an gripped the edge of the desk. He lifted his body off the desk and held his feet off the floor. Smoothly and gracefully, he slowly rotated his hips, thighs, knees, and finally his feet between his hands and u over the desk. I think he even brought himself up into a handstand. Wow, were we impressed! And he could solve Maxwell's Equations, too!

[Rest of the email truncated]

Joe Owens

*It's possible Thea might have relayed her story a bit off, since Miriam is 8 years old (so maybe Miriam asked if Al was 9?).

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I've seen this article before, I love stories of Al, and stories told by Al. They are amazing!!

Monday, July 28, 2008 2:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha. I have never seen that photo of my dad before! Thanks for sharing.

Saturday, August 09, 2008 11:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home