Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!

Looking forward and looking back...


December 23rd was Robyn's last day with LASG. What can I say about her? Hopefully, 3 videos, plus one more in the works, says it all.

She's been my mainstay partner with the SMGC intermediates/LASG Advanced (Pre-team) level girls, for what feels like forever, but which amounts to probably a 2 year (however long ago she started at SMGC) work relationship.

Being without her while she was still here at LASG (for various reasons, such as enrollment level on Thursdays) prepared me a bit for being without her on a permanent basis. But it still leaves you with an emptiness inside; like someone walked away with the best corner of your heart. In the short span of a month, 2 coaches and one gymnast I care about have left the gym. Life is like that.

These 3 videos are bitter-sweet. Robyn's Christian, so somehow it seems almost fitting that my song choices come from a Christian rock band I only recently heard of.

The 4th video in the works is more fun, a little uplifting, showing off Robyn at her silly best. For now, you might want a tissue box handy....





I like the description one YouTube commenter left for the song in the above video: That if you have a positive attitude and outlook on life, it will spread; and if it keeps spreading, it might end up coming back around to you, when you are down. What goes around, comes around, round and round...



These videos are dedicated to Robyn, and the kids who love her, and whose lives she brought warmth to.

*UPDATE*
The fourth video is complete:



I think I put in about 10 hours worth of editing. The song choice is one that Robyn suggested I use for a video. So fitting that I should use it for her video.....which totally reeks......


....of awesomeness!

Labels: , , , , ,

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael you have outdone yourself once again. =)

I love that last one. I've watched it 3 times already. It makes me feel all bubbly and excited. (:

I miss you Robyn, and I hope you are doing well. I love you so much!! Keep being yourself so you can be the greatest person in the world. Your attitude really does lighten any place up!

(Michael! *pokes Horseradish*)

Thursday, January 01, 2009 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Thanks, Erin. I'm proud of these vids.

As much as I love the last one, I'm not totally satisfied with the edit. I tried to cram too much in (fifth video?). The intro and ending are too long, with not enough music to fill the gaps. But it was hard to leave those extra clips out.

If I recover from my movie-making fatigue, I might go back and re-edit. Not sure...

...there is some other stuff that didn't make the cut...other stuff I keep running across.

Even though the 3rd video is very melancholy (actually, I gravitate toward the melancholy by nature), I like the footage of Robyn's one-person class, and the kid is running relay and putting the targets on top of Robyn's head. That was cute.

Thursday, January 01, 2009 10:26:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Another footnote to the 4th video: The voice-over idea struck me by a real comment Dakota made after one of Robyn's dance antics: "You're embarrassing yourself, Robyn!"

Thursday, January 01, 2009 11:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those were great videos Michael, you must have put in a lot of effort to make all of those, I bet they'll make Robyn so happy!

I especially liked the last one, that was cute!

Sunday, January 04, 2009 8:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:(..................yes they made me happy then sad then happy then sad. Thank you so much Michael!! These mean so much to me I watch them daily...seriously. And good song choice, whoever gave you that idea is awesome!!

Monday, January 05, 2009 8:29:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

And good song choice, whoever gave you that idea is awesome!!

Yeah..whoever!

I'm assuming you're patting yourself on the back over the song in the 4th video; but what about the songs by the Christian rock band? Had you heard of them before?

Monday, January 05, 2009 9:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to say that was the first time I have heard them. I really like them good job, If I was to see you I would give you a pat on the back =) How are the girls doing?? I miss you guys! I started at Broadway and I am really happy there! I am still planning on dragging you by your feet ha ha!!! I will be stopping by soon...yeah!

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 9:42:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I only heard about them in December from a WWE Support the Troops video. Went to YouTube to listen again to the song, and then found others. If it didn't coincide with your departure, might not have made the song cut for your vids.

Julia asked if she could help coach on Tues-Thurs. Since she competed the level 4 routines, it would have been great; and she could help the older girls like Lauren and Emma and Alex on level 5.

Doesn't look like it's going to happen, though.

If I can get my act together, I'll have another go at trying the military option.

Thursday, January 08, 2009 2:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael!! I just watched the videoooos. The first one made me cry. A lot. :'( The others just made me laugh. :)

I misssss Robyn and she needs to come and visit! :p

Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:11:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Hmmm...the third one seems the most melancholy/sad to me.

Glad you got some laughs, though.

The class misses you as well, Abby, when you miss so many workouts.

Naomi had a good day today: back walkovers by herself and back flips on trampoline.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know, I know. This week's been sooooo busy with the auditions for the school musical. I've been really nervous all week too. We get our parts today, so I'm really scared.

But, I'll be there Saturday and as many make-ups as I can squeeze in. Yay Naomi! Everyone's getting their backflips! :) I miss Tuesdays.

Friday, January 16, 2009 7:51:00 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

So what part did you get?

Friday, January 16, 2009 3:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got Young Cosette. We're doing Les Mis(erables). I was very happy :)

I shall be at gymnastics tomorrow! See you then!!

Friday, January 16, 2009 10:21:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

OMG! Les Miserables is my favorite musical!!!! I've seen it about 8 times from the Schubert to the Pantages! I have the Broadway Cast, the London Cast, the Original French Concept album, the Paris cast, the German cast, the complete symphonic recording of the entire musical...

Congratulations! Cosette is a wonderful part!

Friday, January 16, 2009 10:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow! That's so funny. Yeah, I've seen the Hamilton high version of it and I saw it London. I'm really excited. And thank you! I'm really happy I got it too. =)

Saturday, January 17, 2009 11:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Abby.... You will always be my #1 drama queen :) you rock!!! Give a big hug to Naomi for me I am so proud of her... Maybe I can stop by soon :)

Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:10:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Probably sometime before April 15th....since your tax return's sitting in the office.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 11:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Robyn said...

I watched them again.....I can't wait to be back to coaching so I can bring some of this to Broadway.. =) soon Michael soon!!!!

Monday, July 20, 2009 8:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home