Thursday, August 29, 2013

Resistance Band Exercises




In the old days, every male gymnast I know had his own surgical tubing for ring strength work and inlocate-dislocate shoulder strengthening and rehab.  Nowadays, there are so many companies that have marketed different types of resistance bands and bungees, adding handles and such.




I love the hollow-arch corbetting exercises starting at around 2:30, both prone and supine:





I had played around with a similar station using the men's cross machine (pulley system on rings), but it was a bit too complex and cumbersome to set up (plus, the boys don't like to be kicked off their own equipment).  This version looks like an excellent setup.

At 3:46 in, Thea and Evan both talked to me about having seen this during their Regional clinic a couple of years ago, and tried it out.  They described it as best they could and mentioned how these thick bands allowed them to do pirouetting skills.

It looks neat and fun; but could definitely act as a "bad spotter", giving false weight-transfer and not discourage bad shapes and form- that would be up to the coach and gymnast to be diligent on staying mentally and physically disciplined.  Looks great for strengthening assist, though.

I did my detective work and eventually found a video and website for the manufacturer peddling the wares, a while back.



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home