Landing Technique and Safety
I caught a few minutes of this (and have not had time yet to study the whole thing) from National Congress when it was live-streaming on Saturday morning. I couldn't watch it at the time, due to heading off for work. Glad it is made available:
In addition, you can get the lecture notes here (you'll be required to provide an email address). And also view more on landing and jumping technique for gymnasts on Dr. Eldridge's website. Don't forget to also go here: Beginning Core, Landing, and Jumping Technique for Gymnasts
Wade used to talk about landing with toes slightly turned in with the knees knocked together as one stable unit; I believe he made mention that the landing technique he favored was pooled from aerial ski jumpers- who have to have fantastic landing technique.
But from what I saw of the video lecture, current thinking seems to suggest that this technique appears to be harsh on the knees. Shoulder width apart with toes facing forward is encouraged.
Quite simply put: Men and women are built differently:
Just last week, while having a new class of hot shots try squat jumps, I had decided to eliminate that from their daily diet, noting that none of them could absorb the landing with their muscles. Leg squats into the landing position will be more appropriate.
I've also never cared for frog jumps across the floor with my team girls (as opposed to long jumps, which don't go all the way down to a squat). It was part of their leg series across the floor, and now I wish I had taken it out (I never stuck it in). I'd caution them against landing right to the squat, but would still see gymnasts who would flop to the squat, like they had shut their muscles completely off, with no deceleration brakes activated that would eccentrically lower them to that position with muscular control.
Now I'm curious to also research various genetic differences in knee structures. Many Japanese seem to be bow-legged.
When I was in martial arts, my teacher Mark Mikita used to scoff at traditional martial arts teachers who would force western students to sit in "seiza" for long periods, destroying their knees.
In addition, you can get the lecture notes here (you'll be required to provide an email address). And also view more on landing and jumping technique for gymnasts on Dr. Eldridge's website. Don't forget to also go here: Beginning Core, Landing, and Jumping Technique for Gymnasts
Wade used to talk about landing with toes slightly turned in with the knees knocked together as one stable unit; I believe he made mention that the landing technique he favored was pooled from aerial ski jumpers- who have to have fantastic landing technique.
But from what I saw of the video lecture, current thinking seems to suggest that this technique appears to be harsh on the knees. Shoulder width apart with toes facing forward is encouraged.
![]() |
| From Dr. Eldridge's lecture overview at National Congress |
Quite simply put: Men and women are built differently:
Before any female embarks on a jump training program, she must learn correct technique. Unfortunately, many coaches, trainers and videos use great programs but demonstrate bad technique. What happens when you practice bad technique? A small vertical jump, but perhaps worse, the possibility of a serious knee injury.Women who have decreased musculature will find their bodies reliant upon ligaments to take the an unhealthy share of the brunt force of landings.
Analysis of female jumping techniques demonstrates that females jump differently than men. Research has identified three important factors. Women jump and land in a more upright position. They land with greater ground-reaction forces. And they jump with incorrect knee position.
~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Lower leg alignment problems may predispose the female athlete to anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears or other knee injuries. Typically the female demonstrates a wider pelvic angle and increased low-back curve. Both of these factors result in the femur, or upper leg bone, rotating inward and the knees assuming a "knock knee" position. This inward-rotated, "knock knee" position places stress on the ACL. Combine this position with the large forces generated during jumping, and you have a formula for disaster.
Some of these alignment problems can be corrected with appropriate strength and jump training. Strength training should target trunk and gluteal muscles. Jump training must emphasize knee over second-toe position.
Just last week, while having a new class of hot shots try squat jumps, I had decided to eliminate that from their daily diet, noting that none of them could absorb the landing with their muscles. Leg squats into the landing position will be more appropriate.
I've also never cared for frog jumps across the floor with my team girls (as opposed to long jumps, which don't go all the way down to a squat). It was part of their leg series across the floor, and now I wish I had taken it out (I never stuck it in). I'd caution them against landing right to the squat, but would still see gymnasts who would flop to the squat, like they had shut their muscles completely off, with no deceleration brakes activated that would eccentrically lower them to that position with muscular control.
When I was in martial arts, my teacher Mark Mikita used to scoff at traditional martial arts teachers who would force western students to sit in "seiza" for long periods, destroying their knees.
Ken
07-26-2000, 09:22 PMI'm writing to ask if anyone has had problems with knee pain after a period of sitting in seiza.
I'm experiencing pain in my right knee after sustained sitting in seiza when my sensei is explaining a point at length, say 10 minutes. The pain seems to be located inside the knee and makes even walking up the stairs or getting out of the car painful. It usually lasts for a few days but as it appears to be a regular occurence, I'm wondering if I should be doing something different.
Thanks for your help.
Not to be too flippant about it, but this reminds me of the old joke of the patient who goes to the doctor. While being examined, the patient moves his arms around and says, "Doctor, my arm hurts when I do this." The doctor turns to him and says, "Then don't do that."akiy07-26-2000, 11:08 PM
Labels: biomechanics, clinic, dismounts, safety, technique




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home