Thursday, September 25, 2014

Hand Placement Drills for Round-offs

 Different coaches have different ideas about round-off hand placement.

As far as I know, standard/orthodox is the upside down "T".


Illustration source



Some coaches teach both hands turned inward.

On a straight line.

Or hands straddling the line:




Power tumblers might "hop 1/2-turn":



 The common "no-no" is hands turned out.


I saw this drill the other day:




Description:

This exercise teaches gymnasts the correct hand placement during round off and encourages to perform the movement in a straight line. This drill has a positive influence on apparatus such as Floor Exercise and Balance Beam.

Since the single floor rail only allows the fingers to face sideways, I decided to use piroullettes to play around with this drill:



What I like about the floor bar(s) over symbols on the ground or drawing an upside down "T" and other markers, is that the gymnast has to turn the hands to face the desired direction in order to grab the push-up blocks (piroullettes).


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home