Weekly Round-Up
I've focused heavily on tumbling, neglecting some of the other events. In part, it's because primetime at LASG means it's crowded and equipment-swapping and floor navigating is a challenge. I also feel that a lot of these girls just need to get stronger, and tumbling is one of those skills that requires a lot of major muscle groups.
A backhandspring/front handspring/RO-Bhandspring is one of those skills that can be a sort of turning point in a young gymnast's life; same with getting a kip on bars.
Since so many of my advanced girls are once-a-weekers, I'd hate to take two steps forward and one step back, by skipping a week on working it, right when some are on the verge of getting it.
Georgia's one of those, who I think has suffered for it. Certain skills that we don't get around to maintaining, and it all but deteriorates. Tuesday was the first day in ages where her tumbling was consistent. Corynn did her RO BH for the first time Tuesday, without a spot.
I didn't film everyone today, but captured a few; none of them were firsts, though.
Heather and I were both missing Lauren (she mentioned Tuesday that she would be absent; she's the kind of kid who's been raised to thank instructors at the end of class, and call the gym, if she's not coming).
I took advantage of having Emma Totsubo and Alexandra Shamash teach the level 4 floor routine to the Heravi sisters, to bring them "up to speed". Perry also learned some of it, and Akasha actually made it through the whole routine to music.
Emma Shapland's been suffering from anxiety and has missed quite a few workouts. No one knows what's causing it. She tried class Tuesday, but ended up leaving; she made it through, today, sitting out only a couple of times. I spotted her on a few flyaways, then she did one in the pit.
Round-offs are still very weak on all of these girls. Handstand snap-ups are one of those drills that I think we should be doing every week.
Labels: Akasha, Alex Shamash, Ashley Heravi, Corynn, diary, Georgia, Kaitlin, LASG Advanced, Nava, tumbling, What your kids have been doing in the gym



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home