New Soul Birthday
Kaliray is one of our SMGC kids who migrated over to LASG. Last Sunday was her birthday party, and I was happy to have been asked to work it. Robyn and Heather are also former SMGC coaches who worked the party, along with coach Desiree.
The zipline (which you can see in Malaika and Anna's video) broke on Saturday, so we worked without one of the main attraction party gimmicks at LASG. This was only my 2nd part at LASG, so I'm a bit out of my groove on running parties and learning the LASG format and material.
Kaliray is another kid who I've always loved, but who I don't see enough of. She misses a lot of gymnastics classes (at LASG, she's signed up for my Monday intermediate class along with Malaika and Anna- all originally part of Al and Teri's junior advanced Wednesday). Cute as all heck. Some of that should come through in this raw footage:
I hope to someday use the footage in a future video. One-legged inch worms are what we call one of SMGC's standard warm up passes across the floor where you hold one leg high in the air, then move both arms forward, followed by moving the bottom leg forward. I remember teaching a class of physically fit stuntmen/martial artists and it just about killed them. Most of the kids don't have much love for the exercise either, in spite of the cute name given to the drill.
Anna and Malaika were at Anna's violin recital, so weren't at the party.
I wish I had better footage of my handstand push-ups at the beginning of the video; I did two no problem, with Kaliray on my back without touching the mat (not confident and consistent yet to do it away from the wall) the first go round; but was too muscle-tired to do it in 2 takes for the camera. I'm way past my prime, but think I want to work on this; hopefully before the 40-50 lb kids I work with turn into 60 lbers!
The zipline (which you can see in Malaika and Anna's video) broke on Saturday, so we worked without one of the main attraction party gimmicks at LASG. This was only my 2nd part at LASG, so I'm a bit out of my groove on running parties and learning the LASG format and material.
Kaliray is another kid who I've always loved, but who I don't see enough of. She misses a lot of gymnastics classes (at LASG, she's signed up for my Monday intermediate class along with Malaika and Anna- all originally part of Al and Teri's junior advanced Wednesday). Cute as all heck. Some of that should come through in this raw footage:
I hope to someday use the footage in a future video. One-legged inch worms are what we call one of SMGC's standard warm up passes across the floor where you hold one leg high in the air, then move both arms forward, followed by moving the bottom leg forward. I remember teaching a class of physically fit stuntmen/martial artists and it just about killed them. Most of the kids don't have much love for the exercise either, in spite of the cute name given to the drill.
Anna and Malaika were at Anna's violin recital, so weren't at the party.
I wish I had better footage of my handstand push-ups at the beginning of the video; I did two no problem, with Kaliray on my back without touching the mat (not confident and consistent yet to do it away from the wall) the first go round; but was too muscle-tired to do it in 2 takes for the camera. I'm way past my prime, but think I want to work on this; hopefully before the 40-50 lb kids I work with turn into 60 lbers!
Labels: Birthday, Kaliray, LASG, LASG Intermediates, SMGC, winter camp



3 Comments:
Jo Ann: Oh Michael, we just watched the video that you took and we are so overwhelmed with joy and gratitude at your expertise and artistry and love. What a treasure we have now have due to your diligence and love for gymnastics and children. All Kaliray's years with you have been fantastic and we hope to continue the fun.
Kaliray: I love doing gymnastics with you.I don't want to quit, I have just been tired. I love doing the gymnastic centers with you. And I love when you take me up in a handstand and when I flew in that rope thing. And I loved the video. And I especially loved the music on the video. Thank you for making it for me. Thanks you for making my party very special.
Love, Jo Ann and Kaliray.
Well how cute are you two? Thanks for the thanks and kind comments. It was a pleasure to make the video, and yes, Kaliray, I like that music as well; I've been hanging onto it for over a month, wanting to use it in a video, and intentionally saved it with your birthday party in mind.
what a cute video. i miss celebrating birthdays with all my former students....i know Kaliray wanted to have her party at SMGC awhile back and I am so glad she got to have one with most of our SMGC coaches present! michael, i love being able to check on my old students through your blog!
Post a Comment
<< Home