Saturday, December 23, 2006

Gymnastics is a "Breese"


Addison Breese is one of those darling kids who you have the pleasure of seeing, "grow up". I think I've only known her for 2 years at the least; perhaps it's been 3. In some ways, it feels even longer than that; and yet she's growing up so quickly, it feels like time is flying right on by me. I've seen her move up the ranks from beginning/advanced and into intermediates; we didn't let her over stay her welcome there and it wasn't long before we pushed her on to level 5 team.

I think her most dramatic transformation happened when we had our annual Spring Fling in May. Still in intermediates at the time, she worked hard on her level 4 floor routine to be performed in front of an audience.

Addie's best asset is her flexibility; but it's also been a crutch, as she over-relies upon it to "coast" through certain skills. Once she understands how to maintain body tightness and the importance of proper body-shapes through her skills, she will see dramatic improvements in her performance. As it is, right now, her body flops around like a wet noodle; or like the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz if he were to do a round-off backhandspring (I almost chose the Scarecrow's song...but then thought: "If I Only Had a Brain" would come across as too insulting).

Besides...I wouldn't want to sabotage my chance at having dinner with the Breese family, later on tonight. (^_^)

I think I forgot to mention in the closing credits that in the video, Addie does all her own stunts. (^_~)


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home