"May Everything Change and Stay..."

May, like Erica, is another one of those gymnasts that we "inherited" from another gym.
And like Erica (both of them level 6's), she suffered from a loss of confidence/mental block in a basic skill. Back tumbling was something she struggled with for the past year that we had her.I would say most of the girls we currently have, to some degree or another, have fear issues that are magnified out of proportion; and they have not developed the mental and emotional tools needed in exorcising unreasonable fear, as soon as it begins to metasticize. Proper preparation and confidence is everything.
Because I don't work with team very often, I never really got to know May all that well. But I always liked her. She's definitely made me laugh- even when I've wanted to strangle the team girls for being goofballs.

This past Friday was May's last day (for now, anway). For whatever reason, she kept quiet about it. For good or bad, her parents made the decision for her. I wish her all the best of luck in her future endeavors. I hope she takes with her, the good memories of her time spent in the gym. I hadn't captured much video footage of her; but since Erica let slip and clued me into the possibility of May quiting, I crammed in some filming of her on the last day. I had just enough footage to put together this video, which I hope she'll like. It's not her at her best- both gymnastically, and personality-wise. But I think the video turned out alright.
Despite her ongoing struggles with her personal demons, she loved gymnastics; and I think gymnastics was good for her. From my own experience, I think it keeps most kids out of trouble, and is a positive atmosphere to be in, whether you are training to be a world class gymnast or not. Instead of being out and about in the evenings, these young kids are in the gym for 3 hours, developing themselves into better athletes; and hopefully into better human beings.
SMGC loves you May!



2 Comments:
What a beautiful tribute to a nice girl. Your gym has something special, that's for sure! Wishing the best for May, wherever life takes her. Sherri PS I can't find my blog since my computer crashed....can't you help? LOL
Sherri,
Your blog is listed in the sidebar. Hope it's nothing too serious with your computer.
Thanks for the well-wishes for May!
Post a Comment
<< Home