Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Transformation mechanisms & teaching through entertainment



 I picked up a couple of quick props from the Magic Apple store in Studio City Saturday, after work, for a gymnastics clinic last Sunday.

 I didn't really have time to think through a clever story on how to relate the props (classic breakaway wand and stiff rope) to gymnastics; but knew I wanted to make it a theme about being loose or tight.

 I also used a partially inflated ball and a fully inflated physioball to compare the difference between the two (one being tight and bouncy and the other one not).

 What are some of your favorite props to use, to illustrate a point? Analogies, metaphors, transformation mechanisms....

Sometimes being able to draw the relationship provides for a fun "Aaah! I get it!" moment. Sam Marsh's stick vault:


 


 George Hery tossing a hammer:


 


 Tom Forster with a Judy Kline demonstration of physics:

 


 Wade Petersen demonstrating the restitution and elasticity of the bar:

 


 I heard my kids describe (I wasn't there that day) the same coach stacking a pyramid of parallettes to illustrate the importance of building a strong foundation of basics and what happens if you don't (the pyramid collapsed). Another favorite is bouncing two different balls- one filled to the max with air (tight and bouncy) and one partially deflated (not tight and not bouncy).

Visual aids and the power of imagination:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/653391321411900/permalink/2020707588013593/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/653391321411900/permalink/2321915034559512/


9-20-2019 Gymnastics World, Chatsworth, CA

9-23-2019 Gymnastics World, Chatsworth, CA


I picked up some dog poo prop at the magic store. I've been using the hand placement mat on vault for a hurdle line and tell the kids the mat is dog poo- don't step on it.

 Please share some of your favorites and how you might capture the attention of an audience through entertainment tricks, gimmicks, and physical props.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home