Building up a powerful, consistent run
At my old gym, counting steps was so ingrained in them, that they seemed to have to count their steps in EVERYTHING. It can be a helpful tool, however, in building a consistent run and hurdle that does not slow down or balk. Although I had never been taught to count steps myself, I remember being able to always build up my run to a crescendo and adjust my strides accordingly as I neared the springboard without slowing down (and on rare occasions, hurdle off of my bad leg if need be from being way off). I heard that young kids, however, have not fully developed their depth perception (I'd love to know if anyone can verify this).
As coach "dunno" writes:
the basics. start the run with the same leg that they hurdle off of. and keep the number to 9/11/13 etc; running steps. yes, there are exceptions as i'm sure someone will point out. but these are the basics and they work consistently across the board with most kids and both boys and girls.Teaching from odd number stepping to a hurdle makes sense when considering future vaults down the road- a hurdle will eventually lead into a yurchenko (step with the bad leg and skip up with the good). So odd number of steps as opposed to even number (unless your intention really is to train your gymnasts to hurdle off of their dominant leg as the last step before the hurdle).
Due to compulsory State Championships this weekend, we canceled team practices yesterday. I offered a makeup practice today and one level 3 and two mini-shots came in. Here's something I experimented with:
This idea came to me while driving to work; so I tested it out at the gym today.
My spacing was a bit off on the number placements; but it definitely helped encourage a longer stride (the lvl 3 gymnast shown is in between deer runs and sprinting) and getting consistent number of steps down (had the girls go up to 9 running steps, stepping first with the "bad" leg- i.e., the non-dominant leg that is used to push from one a hurdle into round off or front handspring).
The original idea was to take a permanent marker to some foam blocks (but I didn't think the gym would fully appreciate that) and set them up as markers; but then I remembered that we had these placement mats for preschool.
Something else I used to do (and should still do) at my old gym with the optionals was to have them front flip over the table. Wade encouraged me to do this as opposed to having the girls do "run bys". Why? Because the tendency of a lot of kids is to slow down as they get closer to the hurdle line and veer off the runway. With the front tuck (or layout) to avoid hitting the table, the vaulter maintains the acceleration all the way to the hurdle and punch. No need to hurdle off course into the "gutter". With a powerful punch, the gymnast should be able to clear the table at her table-height setting.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home