Cross-pollination of Knowledge
Eddie's an amazing gymnast and coach.
He's been a great resource for me as a coach, through correspondence (former Michigan State Wolverine now residing in Minnesota to groom future elites). So it's flattering to know that I've given him something of value in return:
Note the superb rounded chest upon the single-hand release? The outstanding shape and body tension in that handstand? It's the kind of knit-pick quality he and his buddy Justin Laury are cultivating in their athletes: Strong body shapes and basics. You can recognize good coaching, just by looking at the quality of the basics, imprinted upon their athletes.
I began playing around with and refining this spotting method sometime after Coach Wade saw me hold a gymnast in the one-arm release position. He asked me to show him how I was doing it, thought it through, and said he liked it. I hadn't really given second thought to the unconventional spotting I was doing at the time; it just sort of arose out of a feeling of what felt right, in spotting it without fatiguing my muscles.
The gym gave me permission to share it outside of the gym. I hadn't seen it done before, and felt it was a fairly unique method of spotting that could be of benefit to other coaches.
Here's a good example of the one-arm release technique on overshoots, as demonstrated by Amanda from Gym Max:
She kills her swing quite a bit; and I imagine that is due to her being on FIG setting.
Some people are selfishly guarded when it comes to sharing their knowledge and "secrets"; but it's the sharing and cross-pollination of knowledge that enriches a community. This includes research into fields that are seemingly remote and unrelated to the sport and art of gymnastics.
It makes for stronger, smarter coaches all around; and that makes for safer gymnasts, all around.
He's been a great resource for me as a coach, through correspondence (former Michigan State Wolverine now residing in Minnesota to groom future elites). So it's flattering to know that I've given him something of value in return:
1st day working a bail. Focusing on technique. Thanks to Mike Sanders (former teammate and roommate of my brothers at UCLA) for introducing me to this spotting technique.
Note the superb rounded chest upon the single-hand release? The outstanding shape and body tension in that handstand? It's the kind of knit-pick quality he and his buddy Justin Laury are cultivating in their athletes: Strong body shapes and basics. You can recognize good coaching, just by looking at the quality of the basics, imprinted upon their athletes.
I began playing around with and refining this spotting method sometime after Coach Wade saw me hold a gymnast in the one-arm release position. He asked me to show him how I was doing it, thought it through, and said he liked it. I hadn't really given second thought to the unconventional spotting I was doing at the time; it just sort of arose out of a feeling of what felt right, in spotting it without fatiguing my muscles.
The gym gave me permission to share it outside of the gym. I hadn't seen it done before, and felt it was a fairly unique method of spotting that could be of benefit to other coaches.
Here's a good example of the one-arm release technique on overshoots, as demonstrated by Amanda from Gym Max:
She kills her swing quite a bit; and I imagine that is due to her being on FIG setting.
Some people are selfishly guarded when it comes to sharing their knowledge and "secrets"; but it's the sharing and cross-pollination of knowledge that enriches a community. This includes research into fields that are seemingly remote and unrelated to the sport and art of gymnastics.
It makes for stronger, smarter coaches all around; and that makes for safer gymnasts, all around.
Labels: instructional



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home