Saturday, October 22, 2005

"I Will Not Be Broken"

I've been wanting to use this song in a video for a long while now...one of many. Also, the footage of Isabel at the beginning. The lighting really adds to the smoke-like effect of the chalk dust. I kept wringing my hands for months over what and when I could incorporate this footage into a video. Well, it makes its debut in this one. For extra measure, I got a little additional footage today in the gym, as Izzy showed up after only coming once or twice this session. Since I was now working on this music video, I tried to duplicate the same effect, but the lighting was wrong and we should have caked more chalk onto her leotard (the first time I ever snapped the chalk dust from her leotard it wasn't staged; she honestly had chalk all over her leotard from working bars).

I really look like I don't know how to spot in this video, and that's because of a lack of realistic context with the successes going on earlier that had me spot less to put the responsibility more upon the gymnast to do the backhandspring rather than me acting as a training wheel and crutch(you see! Videos don't always tell the whole truth!). There is the footage of Mackie's round-off backhandsprings showing her fumble twice. Well, this was around when her mom came to pick her up, I think. And before that, she was really flying to where I thought she might actually get it that day. But then it was like all her strength got sapped away.

Anyway, I like the way this one turned out. I really didn't know what kind of a theme I was going for, until I made it. Amidst all the footage of crashes and struggle (the best ones I never get on camera), I'm proud to have thrown in there a very good bar routine from Nikolina. It is in fact, 3 different routines blended (the reason being is that my camera only takes video clips at 10-20 seconds in length). You can tell one transition, with the third one only occuring after she lands the dismount. She was really smoking on the bars that day.

Lauren is no longer with us, and I hope she can forgive me for including such sad footage of her icing her knee and not looking at all pleased with me. I feel guilty for invading her moment of hurt, but hey! It makes for great drama in a film! *Hugs*, Lauren!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home