Friday, October 29, 2004

2005: A Gymnastics Odyssey

One of my earliest and most ambitious works. It was so long, that I couldn't print out the original (Windows movie maker requires it to be under 100 MBs). That really messed things up. I think I lost one unsaved version; and the length also threw off my editing skills- which I was most proud of at the time, and which took up most of my time. The footage at the end doesn't synch well with the music, but at one time it did. Ah, well. Since I couldn't fit it all in the way I had envisioned, I dissected it into 2 movies- the second one being incomplete, as at that point I just gave up on the project, being dejected from the ending of the first one.

The theme of course, is based on 2001: A Space Odyssey, which I think is the ultimate sci-fi movie. Tedious, mysterious, religious, technically sound, it is perfect...from the dawn of man to his next evolutionary stage. If you have never seen the movie, you will miss out on some of the parodying in this video.

Here's what I originally wrote for it:

2005: A Gymnastics Odyssey (Rough Cut)- Building upon the audio clips of the ultimate sci-fi religious movie experience, I've paid homage to Kubrick's work and originally had in mind to show the evolutionary progress of the gymnast; instead, I ended up simply piecing together video clips to choreograph them to the classic Thus Spake Zarathustra and The Blue Danube Waltz. It's interesting to see how the movements sometimes look as if they were made to go with the music. I wanted to tack on Thus Spake Zarathustra again at the end, but encountered problems, as somewhere along the way, I threw all the synchronization of movement to music out of whack; so I decided to just print this version out before I lost it from tampering. At around 12 minutes and over 100 MBs, this is the longest piece thus far. I was hoping for an epic where I could just throw in every photo and video clip I have from these past 2 years.

and

2005: A Gymnastics Odyssey Part II (Closing Credits)- Was made because I could not fit the length of this using Windows Movie Maker; so I had to splice it in half, rather than lose it. It's a bit incomplete, but I definitely wanted to include it, since I filmed a staged scene of me tossing one of the "firecrackers" up into the air to parody the most famous movie transition scene ever: Moonwatcher tossing the bone-club- man's most primitive tool- high into the air....it tumbles through space to transition into a spacecraft, thereby catapulting us from the Dawn of Man and into the future of the human race. Here the "firecracker" transitions into Greg Demer bouncing on the trampoline.


2005: A Gymnastics Odyssey




2010: Gymnastics Odyssey Two

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael: these videos brought back so many great memories and gave me an idea of who was in my group. Keep at it. I enjoyed them alot!
Thanks for putting the great videos together.

Alina Benun

Thursday, January 03, 2008 9:21:00 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Glad you got to see this! First time I watched this in a long time. Livedigital is ending its services on Jan 7th; so I'm going to have to use Google or some other service to host my LiveDigital vids that run longer than 10 minutes and 100 MBs.

I wish I could re-edit this vid; but it's more trouble than it's probably worth. I remember it was getting so long, Windows MovieMaker at the time was starting to act weird.

Good seeing you today, and thanks for commenting!

Thursday, January 03, 2008 9:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home